Saturday, October 15, 2011

Thank not all ?

I was walking with Y and I stopped at a small shop to get something. After paying I said "Thank You". Y asked me "Why do you say "Thank you" to this guy ? He's just an ordinary fellow."

I was surprised at Y's remark. I never thought that this guy doesn't deserve me thanking him.

I don't know if it is because I was brought up and living in Germany for most of my formative years, but there certainly it was only a common thing to do, to thank even for the smallest gesture. Here in India the picture is so different. You have the very rich, the rich, the average man , the poor and the very poor. People don't offer courtesies to people below a certain strata, especially not below themselves.

I for myself, I believe that every person deserves to be treated equally irrespective of whether they are at a higher or lower level than us. We ought to appreciate everyone around us, and definitely we'll get appreciated more as well. Sometimes that is all that people want. And so whenever I catch a glimpse of pride in their eyes when they reply back with "You're welcome!" I realize it was a good thing to do.

No comments: